Friday, September 21, 2012






  ORC  Guest Speaker on 9/5/12



This is the year of the Woman – a phrase I keep hearing again and  again, from the increase in numbers for women at the Classic 2012 as well as our amazing female presence at the Olympics last month.
.
Hard work, self satisfaction and the sense of achievement has been my mantra for many years as well as probably many of you runners and walkers  that are  here tonight and especially the women athletes.  Watching and listening to all the commentaries and post interviews during the Olympic games, women athletics,  in all venues, is on the rise.   We have come light years from the first modern games that were held in Athens in 1896 when our presence was welcomed only as spectators.  Last month, about 45% of the almost 11,000 athletes competing were women and for the first time in Olympic history, all participating teams had female representation, which was a major boost for gender equality.   How fitting is it that just last June marked the 40th anniversary of Title IX,   1972  law that opened up equality in sports  for women and girls.  In the women’s soccer match alone, there was not an empty seat in the house, it’s clear of the influence Title 9 has on our women of the future,  Nowadays, women meet  as groups to run, take spin classes, do yoga and even do triathlons together.  With  our fitness levels on the rise, it gives the  term ‘ladies night’   a whole new meaning.  

My thanks go to Kathrine Switzer, who, in 1967, ignited the fire for women’s marathoning in officially entering and completing the Boston Marathon.  Not only did her tenacity prove that women CAN compete in such an arduous sport, but it was the catalyst that led Joan Benoit in 1984 to winning the first Women’s Olympic marathon in Los Angeles.   I remember watching her enter the stadium with her white painters cap on  and I knew at some point , I would run a marathon…well maybe more than one…

My goal, as it turned out,  was never just about the run

It began  in 1988 in Liberty State park, which was the site of  the 1988 men’s olympic qualifier race, and I  wanted to complete a marathon before expanding our family.  While Billy and three year old Caitlin waited in a van, I completed my very first marathon at age 30 in a time of  3:43.   The marathon bug had not bit me yet so  I took the necessary time off to raise two daughters and what do you know, all too quickly ,found myself with extra time on my hands.  In the 2001,  I picked  up my long distance running again and set my sites  on qualifying for Boston.  I ran in Burlington VT  with a time of 3:47 and I was on my way.  My  first trip Boston in  April of 2002  was very exciting and historic. I remember making that last left hand turn onto Boylston Street and I saw the finish line and could not believe that I was actually there. Excited and thrilled, I continued to train hard and unfortunately, experienced a horrific skiing accident  in December 2002 where I broke my left leg in two spots. At age 45, I was in cast from toe to hip for 12 weeks  To make a long story short, I have not skied since and  have completed more marathons post break than before my accident.. 

In 2004, while running the Clarence Demar marathon in Keene NH,  I met a marathon maniac and was introduced to a whole new culture regading marathoning.    I did 3 marathons in 3 months, each within a minute of each other  and  promptly was accepted into their club.  From there,   I  realized I had collected nine states along the way and decided to find a new hobby, and joined the 50 state marathon club. My husband seemed less than thrilled, I’m pretty sure he wanted me take up knitting! 

I quickly became a marathon travel agent and memorized every race  in every state from marathon guide.com.  I also realized that I enjoyed and was able to run multiple marathons, even occasionally doing back to back 26.2 milers.  So.. here is my secret…
My marathons are my long runs…once I achieved marathon fitness level, I never had to do a long run again!  Eureka!  For me, my body type enabled me to compete at a pretty good pace and the states began adding up and I soon found that in mid 2009 that I was at the half way point of achieving my fifty state goal.  Ramping up our traveling I completed 30 marathons in about three years.  Most trips were just one nighters, fly in, hotel, do the marathon and leave. And it was not an uncommon occurrence to change in the car while en route to the airport.

I  occasionally had bad races, we all do, due to weather, altitude, diet, etc and I would find myself questioning whether I still wanted this,  to see this dream to fruition. I would cross the finish line,  one notably in Miami where I physically got sick in a sidewalk planter, that I  WAS DONE.  Done done done..Billy  listened and commiserated, but after some food, lots of wine  and ibuprofen, I was soon on the internet figuring out which state would be next.  My husband compares it to a woman having a baby!

In traveling across the US and Canada, I would often think about  me how lucky we are to live in a free country and have the choices we have every day. I was able to choose, when,  where and how to accomplish my goal, and for that I am forever grateful.  Although towards the end, the states and their schedule are picking you.  If you miss one state in one month, you may have to wait another year to get that state..  When I was heading into the finish line in Missoula and realizing that somehow I missed the 25 mile marker, spectators were saying, it’s right around the corner…of course I was afraid to believe them but then I made the last turn and there was the bridge and the balloons.  I quickly got my emotions in check, and  sprinted to the finish line with a huge smile…I was so happy and bittersweet all at the same time!  Once across that finish line, while waiting for Billy,   I suddenly realized that all along, it was not about the final number of state # 50, or realizing that I was fulfilling my dream,  it was about the journey. My journey was the destination.  The friends I met along the way, the beautiful sites we saw and experiences we shared are forever in my heart.  I could never have done it without the total support of my husband and daughters, my close family and most importantly, you guys, all of you in this room tonight that always asked me, so Valerie  ‘what state are you up to now?” 


No comments:

Post a Comment